You and me need a heart-to-heart. I wanted to tell you that coming out is hard. I've done it twice. Once to tell my family that I'm bisexual and again to come out as transgender. IT'S HARD. Especially for folk with family or friends who don't approve. If that's you, if that's your situation, if that's how you feel deep down like the shame of coming out would cripple you, remember that not coming out is so much worse. You must do you unapologetically. When you do, I'll be here waiting for you with arms wide open. I'll call you family. We'll live happily ever after. Life is so much more beautiful outside the closet.
If you need some help coming out, please take a look at some of these things below:
- Coming Out As You
- Coming Out 101: The Autostraddle Guide
- Something I Want You To Know (Coming Out)
- Team Pick: “Coming Out With Care,” the E-Care Package For Your Parents!
- HRC Celebrates National Coming Out Day With Video Highlighting Celebrities Advancing Equality
- Consider asking someone who's already come out for advice.